Adjacent to the famous Epsom Salts Well, discovered by Henry Wicker in the 1600’s, the site is steeply sloping with mature landscape and an old vacant community building at the centre of the Wells neighbourhood.
The scheme proposes 23 apartments with a mix of 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms set out on a linear block respecting the landscape and natural slope of the site whilst offering all the apartments a southerly aspect. The lower ground floor forms a strong concrete plinth emerging out of the ground as the land falls away and over which the prefabricated timber frame apartments sit.
The building is expressed as a linear block composed of three distinct material elements.
The lower ground base is concrete over which the upper storeys are tile hung in response to Wells House, whilst the kitchen and light well pods are clad in metal with metal screening to the entrance lobbies to add a contrasting form and layering to the building mass.
The project also includes a new timber community hall and external play area for the local neighbourhood.